|Welcome to Moi Girls' High School - Eldoret|
|Home Academic Programmes The Administration Alumni Games and Sports Clubs and Societies Memoirs Publications Chaplaincy History School Profile Contacts Message of the Week PROJECT PROPOSAL - SANATORIUM School Diary Project Proposals Weekly Highlights Downloads||
Moi Girls’ High School – Eldoret has a long history dating back to 1928. It was first established the as a European Primary School to cater for the children of the British and Boer settlers in the then White Highlands of Kenya. The primary school was later renamed Highlands Primary School.
In the 1930’s, the school was moved across the Sosiani river to what is now Hill School. The need for a girls’ high school for the white settlers in Eastern Africa saw the founding of the present school. It was opened in 1954 with the name New Girls’ High School, as an extension of The European Girls School (The Kenya High School). The school was later renamed The Highlands School.
Most of the school buildings were put up between 1952 and 1957. However, the oldest structures are the ones currently accommodating the Music and French departments and were constructed in the early 1930’s.
After Kenya’s attainment of independence and self rule in 1963 and 1964 respectively, the school experienced a decline in number of students because the settlers began relocating to other countries. So In 1965, the first African students were admitted to the school through the government policy of integration. New members of the Board of Governors that were appointed included the first Africans who in turn elected Hon. D. T. arap Moi as the school board chairman. The school had him as the chairman of the board since then till 2007 when he formally retired.
In 1978, the school had its name changed from ‘The Highlands School’ to ‘Moi Girls’ High School – Eldoret’. This was done in honour of the long serving board chairman who had then risen to become the president of the Republic of Kenya that same year.
The school has had three chairpersons of the Board:
School Principals that have served in the school since then are:
The School has had one motto since 1928:
’Honour, Courage and Industry’.
The school vision:
To be the premier national school for girls.
The school mission:
To provide a solid foundation on which every student can develop excellence in academic performance and character in school and beyond; prepared to serve in school, family and society with integrity to the glory of God.
The school slogan:
|© 2007 Moi Girls' High School - Eldoret | Admin Login||Powered by Artpro Design|